Le Havre, the city rebuilt by Auguste Perret
The city of Le Havre, on the coast of the English Channel in Normandy, was heavily bombarded during the Second World War. The destroyed zone was rebuilt between 1945 and 1964 on a plan drawn up by a team of architects and town developers led by Auguste Perret. The site forms the administrative, commercial and cultural centre of Le Havre. Among the many towns reconstructed after the war, Le Havre is remarkable for its unity and integrity, combining a reflection of the former lay-out of the town and the preserved historic structures with new ideas in terms of town-planning and construction technology. It is an outstanding example of post-war architecture and urban planning, based on methodological consistency and pre-fabrication systems, the systematic utilization of a modular grid, and the innovative use of concrete.
Criterion (ii): The post-war reconstruction plan of Le Havre epitomizes an important stage in the integration of urban traditions in the pioneering implementation of modern developments in architecture, technology and urbanism.
Criterion (iv): Le Havre is an outstanding example of post-war urban-planning and architecture, on account of its methodological consistency, pre-fabrication system, systematic use of a modular grid, and innovative use of concrete.
- Année d'inscription : 2005
- Critères d'inscription : ii, iv
- Superficie du bien inscrit : 133 ha
- Localisation : Department of Seine maritime, Region of Normandie
- Coordonnées DMS : N49 29 34.008 E0 6 27
- Registration year : 2005
- Registration criterion : ii, iv
- Area of the inscribed : 133 ha
- Location : Department of Seine maritime, Region of Normandie
- Coordinates DMS : N49 29 34.008 E0 6 27